We live in a world with too many creeps, trolls and monsters. A little kindness and compassion goes a long way. Before anything else, recognizing yourself as a human – is what the art of being a good person beings with. Humility, kindness, and compassion are traits that build on this foundation.
1. Learn to be okay with unanswered questions. Learn to be ok with not being ok all the time.
2. Know that nothing matters more than how you treat people. It’s all anyone will ever remember of you. It doesn’t matter what kind of car you drive, what you do for a living, what part of town you live in. That’s a facade.
3. Be honest. Be sincere. Be authentic. It’s amazing how deeply you can connect with people when you are.
4. Be selfless. It’s one of the best qualities a human being can have.
5. Learn to actually be and feel happy for other people.
6. Recognize that every experience is valid.
7. Seriously, give better good-bye. Communicate. Communication is sexy. There is a scene is a movie How Do you Know. Paul Rudd calls Reese Witherspoon to tell her that he won’t be calling her because he is seeing someone. (A mutual friend was trying to set them up). I thought it was the cutest thing ever. Decency is such an amazing quality in a human being – and it’s sad to see how little people have it.
8. Make time for yourself. Find out what inspires your soul.
9. Have conversations without bashing someone – esp when that someone is you.
10. Excuses are only comforting to YOU. People can usually see through excuses and they will know when you are not being genuine and when an excuse is bullshit. You are the only person you are fooling into thinking you’re not still responsible.
11. Understand that if something upsets you – it’s usually striking a nerve of truth.
12. Fear of humiliation is a fundamental cause of anxiety. A world where people are nice – help reduce fear of humiliation and fear. Promote kindness, be the reason for others to believe that there is still good in this world.
13. Reach out to fellow humans. Open your heart. They will eagerly do that same. It’s amazing what compassion and kindness work.